Sunday, April 23, 2017


O good Iago,

What shall I do to win my lord again?



-Desdemona   



Othello                         Act IV, Scene ii, Line 170



Okay, this is almost too much to deal with. Hold on, I’ve gotta go take a count.

Well I took a count and it seems that I was mistaken. I was going to tell you how many times already we had had reference to ‘good Iago’ or ‘honest Iago’ so far in our Totally Random lines. But wanna know how many? Zero. I don’t know what I was thinking. We’ve had lots of references, direct and indirect, of Iago’s rottenness, but nary a one line where he got referred to as good or honest. But we do now!


This is our twelfth visit to Othello in 264 days of picking Totally Random lines. Only As You Like It and Coriolanus, with thirteen and fifteen visits respectively have more. We’ve had Desdemona talking before, a few lines from Iago and plenty of references to Iago and his rottenness (we even made up a new word for him – Rattiest), but this is the first time that we’ve got one of the ‘Good’ or ‘Honest’ Iago lines. ‘Bout damn time. It seems like this is all I ever remember from my old days of studying this play. It was ‘good Iago’ this, and ‘honest Iago’ that. In fact, I’ll bet if I go back to the play and start from the beginning we’ll get one of these lines in the first hundred lines of the play. Hold that thought.


Okay, skip that thought. I went back and started from the beginning and was up to Act III and still hadn’t seen any sign of a ‘good’ or ‘honest’ Iago. Perhaps I just have some twisted memory of this play. O well, memory can be quite the teaser, can’t it? Maybe Iago had something to do with my twisted memory?
O good Iago!

I was trying to find something rotten or evil for today's picture, in honor of Iago, but I'm going to have to settle for creepy. Yes, this is a spider and I was face-timing with Nina so I showed her this picture and she assures me that this spider is creepy. How big is he? Well I can't tell you exactly how big, but I can tell you that I took this picture from my car. The spider was big enough that I noticed it while I was driving down the road, so I pulled over and took a picture from the drivers seat. So that's a pretty big spider and a bit creepy, so a good picture for an Iago post.
O good spider!




1 comment:

Mrs Blue said...

I'd like to know what kind of spider that is.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...