Friday, March 29, 2019


And the creature run from the cur? There thou mightst behold the great image of authority: a dog’s obey’d in office.--

-King Lear
                                   
King Lear                                Act IV, Scene vi Line 159

Today’s line is prefaced by Lear asking Gloster if he’s ever seen a farmer’s dog bark at a beggar. Gloster answers yes, to which Lear replies with today’s Totally Random line. So that the ‘creature’ in the line is a beggar running from the farmer’s dog.

Now this is well into the play, somewhat towards the end, when the blind Gloster and his son Edgar meet up with the rambling, a little bit out of his mind, Lear. And the latter is going on about this, that, and everything. There’s a ton of analysis to be had in Lear’s ramblings because, of course, they’re not random ramblings; this is Shakespeare! Is Lear comparing himself to a dog that’s obeyed by a beggar? I suppose on the face of it that’s what we see here. But the analysis can be continued on to a much deeper level.

I notice in my compilation that we’ve been on this page before, so I looked into my archives to see if I’d done any previous analysis on this scene, or perhaps even a blog post, that might help with today’s line. Alack, no. The line I picked previously, just a few lines up from today’s line in the scene, was not blogged about at all. I do that a lot of days. Too busy to write, I’ll just pick a line, read it, spend a minute or two thinking about it, make a note of what line it was, and move on with my day. Busy, busy! Remember now, I started this here habit when I was out of work, and had a bit more time on my hands. But these days I work a lot. And yet, I’m still here, still plugging away at my Totally Random (semi) Daily Shakespeare. I’m kind of looking forward to the day when I’ll have more time to always be able to spend time writing about the line of the day. But wait, am I really? Am I really looking forward to not working and having the extra time? So that I will be able…

To shake all the cares and business from our age;
Conferring them on younger strengths, while we
Unburden’d crawl toward death.

Those are some of the very first lines of the play spoken by Lear when he tells his daughters that he’s dividing up the kingdom and giving it to them so that he can retire from being king. And look how well that worked out for Lear! Look where he is today; half out of his mind and rambling on about beggars running from farm dogs, that’s where he is.

No, I’ll keep my day job for now, thank you very much. And I’ll also keep working on these lines when I have time, and appreciating what I have. And when I’ve shaken most of these cares and business from my age and conferred them on younger strengths, I’ll do my best to appreciate the extra time I have for writing. And, importantly, I’ll do the best I can to learn from Lear’s experience and do a better job than he did of managing the shaking part.

Yeah, that’s what I’ll do. 

Here's Pete dealing with all the cares and business from our age.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...