Wednesday, March 22, 2017


Go hence; good night; and here stands all your state:--

-Friar Laurence

Romeo And Julit               Act III, Scene iii, Line 166


So here’s what the friar is saying-

Get going, good night, and here’s what your situation is:

And then he goes on to tell Romeo what his situation is: Either be gone before the break of day or else leave here disguised; get yourself to Mantua and stay there, and I’ll send your servant with messages from time to time with any good news.

Now, what’s happened in this scene before the good friar says this? Romeo just spent the first part of the scene moaning and crying like a baby because he’s killed Juliet’s cousin Tybalt and that by doing so he’s hurt Juliet. But mostly he’s whining because he’s going to be banished from Verona and from Juliet. (and by the way, today the word is banished, not banist). Interestingly enough, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of remorse about killing good old Tybalt. And after this good bunch of moaning the friar tells Romeo to stop acting like a little girl and put on his big boy pants and go and see Juliet. And then he can take his banishment until they find a way to straighten the whole mess out. And that’s when he says Go hence, Good night, etc, etc.

So what do we think? Well this is Romeo and Juliet, certainly one of Will’s most known plays. I mean if you asked 100 random people (especially if it was 100 people who really knew little to nothing about Will) to name one play by Shakespeare, you’d probably hear this play named more than any other. Surprisingly and inexplicably, I’ve only come across this play three times before in my random picks, and two of those picks didn’t make it to post time. That’s right, there’s only been one post before this on Romeo And Juliet. And that was way back on 8/20/16. And what does that all mean. I don't really know. I guess not much. Now I'm just rambling. But at least I'm not whining. Not that I'm above whining. I can whine with the best of them. I can also see when it's time to end a post. And that time was clearly several lines ago. So dear readers, go hence and good night.
Good night.



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...