Monday, March 20, 2017


Walk aside the true folk, and let the traitors stay.


Exeunt COSTARD and JAQUENETTA


-Costard


Love’s Labour’s Lost           Act IV, Scene iii, Line 210



This same shall go.---


-Longaville


Love’s Labour’s Lost            Act IV, scene iii, Line 57


Well, sorry folks, but I’ve been having a bit of a tough time keeping up with my blogging lately. I’d say it’s partly due to a busy schedule, partly due to being under the weather, and partly due to who knows what. But I’m gonna see if I cant’ get back on track here today, so bear with me.
So we’re going with two lines today. The first one is actually today’s Totally Random line and the second one is from back in January from a day that I didn’t post (for whatever reason). And honestly, I don’t have much on the second line (which is probably why it didn’t get posted on). Here’s what I wrote back then on the second line:


We are back at Love’s Labour’s Lost for only the second time and Randomness has us with this same guy, Longaville. It’s a crazy scene where we keep adding guys watching other guys in the scene without being seen. Sound confusing? It sort of is.


I’m not sure today’s line is worth much of spending a lot of time on. I think he’s just talking about some lines of poetry that need to go?


Maybe today’s line needs to go?


Now you see why I didn’t post it. But I included it today because today’s line, which isn’t bad, is from the same scene. At this point in the scene we have Costard talking and, depending on which version you look at, Costard is described as listed in the cast of characters as either a clown, or a country bumpkin, or something of the sort. But in today’s Totally Random line he’s referring to himself and Jaqueneta (a country wench) as the ‘true folk’. I really like the way he does it, refering to himself and her in the third person that way, and with that title 'the true folk'. It's classic! Also, I gave you the stage direction that follows the line. There’s that ‘exeunt’, plural of exit, but more importantly the stage direction makes clear who Costard is referring to as ‘the true folk.’ There might be confusion as to what or who he's talking about when he says 'walk aside the true folk',  but the confusion is gone when right after saying it he and Jaquenetta walk aside.


Okay, I’m about done for today. I guess I’ll put my keyboard down and, you guessed it, walk aside the true folk. Stage direction: Exit Pete.


A lot of true folk walk aside here, some going south, and some going north (can you read the fine print on the metal band on the cement post?).

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...