Friday, August 4, 2017



In sign whereof I pluck a white rose.

-Lawyer

King Henry The Sixth Part I            Act II, Scene iv, Line 58


The Wars of the Roses. That’s what this is the start of. It’s the beginning of the wars fought for the English throne between the Yorks and the Lancasters. And it supposedly got its name because of this scene in a Shakespeare play where a bunch of Yorkists and Lancasterians were in a garden and they started picking roses to signify which side they were taking: a white rose for York and a red rose for Lancaster. Did this scene actually take place in real life? I doubt it. But it makes for good theater, doesn’t it? 

And by the way, I looked up the word 'whereof', and it’s a legit modern word. It means ‘of what’ or ‘of which’. And I think that’s a little funny since we use the word ‘where’ when we’re talking about ‘what’ or ‘which.’ Why don’t we say ‘whatof’ or ‘whichof’? It’s that crazy English language in action.




The storm, whereof these clouds are an indication, passed us by completely.
 





No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...