Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Lord Mortimer of Scotland hath sent word 
That Douglas and the English rebels met
The eleventh of this month at Shrewsbury.



-Sir Walter Blunt
 
King Henry IV Part I                            Act III, scene ii, Line 164

So this bit has to do with fighting within Britain. But don't ask me to get into details as to who's who, because I can never keep track. For one thing, there's too many names to remember, and for another thing, these guys keep changing sides. And if that weren't enough and just to make it a little more confusing, the names of singular guys change. Today's speaker, Henry IV, was initially Bolingbroke. Yesterday's speaker was Gloster, but he would eventually be Richard III.

I've got a library book that I'm reading called Shakespeare's Kings. It gives you the story behind Shakespeare's history plays, giving the detail of who did what and then pointing out where Shakespeare kept his stories in line with actual history and where he took poetic license. But to tell you the truth, that book is hard to follow too, and now that I'm three quarters of the way through with it I'm still not sure who did what. 

Maybe it's just me. I am getting a little old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQxM5rJ-uiY 

No pic today, just a link to a song about getting old.

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

Hm. I think I recall that song.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...