Sunday, February 24, 2019


Thy letters have transported me beyond

This ignorant present, and I feel now

The future in the instant.



-Lady Macbeth

                                   

Macbeth                                       Act I, Scene v, Line 58





This is a pretty good line. Lady Macbeth just read a letter from her husband in which he talks about the witches predictions that he will be king. She reads the letter, spends a few minutes by herself getting all worked up about not letting her goodness get in the way of what she’s gonna have to do (some pretty good lines there about being ‘unsexed’ among other things). Then Macbeth shows up and she comes out with today’s line. I think it’s a bit of an understatement to say that she’s excited about the prospect of becoming queen. What do you think?

I was traveling with the girls a few years ago and we were talking about this line. I said 'okay, give me your best Lady Macbeth face in this instance where she's getting all worked up about killing Duncan so her husband can be king.' I'm not sure they quite understood the direction I was giving them.



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...