Monday, February 6, 2017


Marcus Andronicus, so I do affy
In thy uprightness and integrity,
And so I love and honour thee and thine,
Thy noble brother Titus and his sons,
And her to whom my thoughts are humbled all,
Gracious Lavinia, Rome's rich ornament, That I will here dismiss my loving friends,
And to my fortunes and the people's favor Commit my cause in balance to be weigh'd.
Bassianus
Titus Andronicus                                              Act 1, Scene i    Line 48
I believe that when I was being taught language arts back in grammer school (when it was simply called English class) today’s Totally Random line would be referred to as a run-on sentence. But of course since it’s Will’s, we won’t call it that. 

So we spent the weekend with some non-play material; Lucrece and The Passionate Pilgrim (I’d like to find out where that second title comes from). But today we’re back to the plays. And thankfully as far as I’m concerned. Oh, his other works have some good stuff in them, don’t get me wrong. But it’s just nice to be back in the plays. Even if it is this trouble maker Titus Andronicus.  But today’s line, other than its length, is not very troubling at all. In fact, there’s not one iota of blood and gore and guts in it. Not even an oblique reference. 

This is the very beginning of the play and we have Bassianus talking. He’s responding to Marcus, Titus’s brother. Bassanius and Saturninus are the two candidates for leadership of Rome (not sure what the title of the leader is). They’ve just introduced themselves when Marcus pipes up that Titus, who is a great warrior, wants to be considered for leadership. This is Bassianus’s reply to Marcus, and it seems to be a pretty positive reply, don’t you think?

And new word today, in the first line: affy. It means to trust in. Interesting, isn’t it? So Bassianus and Saturninus are going to trust in Marcus’s uprightness and integrity and go along with him, welcoming Titus into the election. It all seems pretty rosy, doesn’t it? Don’t worry, it won’t last. This is all just setting up an incredible contrast for what’s to come. If you’ve forgotten, you can go to the ‘Will’s Works/Pete’s Posts’ tab and check out the posts on Titus. There’s quite a few there. Or if you’d rather enjoy the rosiness of the moment and prefer not to think about the bad stuff, stay away from those posts. Your choice.

That's right, affy in what I told you and be prepared for the worst if you plan on going and checking out those Titus posts.






No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...