Friday, December 13, 2019


Go to, go to; peace, peace; we must deal gently with him: let me alone.

-Sir Toby Belch

Twelfth Night; Or, What You Will        Act III, scene iv, line 96


I’m pretty sure that I’ve said this before, but Sir Toby reminds me a lot of Sir John Falstaff. He's a conniving character who's usually up to finding ways to get by on someone else's dime. Having said that, right here he's talking with his friends about Malvolio whom they’ve been given leave to deal with as they see fit. Well, sort of. It seems that they’ve been playing a joke on Malvolio and now they’ve got him to the point where he’s a bit confused and they’re getting ready to throw him into a dark room. If that sounds like it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, well, I guess it doesn't. 

On the other hand, the name of this play is Twelfth Night, which is a Christmas themed title and this play's got nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas or Christmas time. So what do you say to that?

Since Will didn't give us anything in the play that's Christmas themed, and since it's called Twelfth Night, and since today is December 13, I thought we needed some Christmas in today's pic. So here you go.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...