Saturday, March 13, 2021

 

Bear with him, Brutus; ‘tis his fashion.

-Cassius

Julius Caesar          Act IV, Scene iii, Line 134

 

Cassius and Brutus are in Brutus’s tent, and they have been fighting. A Poet barges in and tells them to settle down, and Brutus tells him to get lost. Cassius’s response to this is today’s line. Brutus doesn’t want to bear with him and says

        I’ll know his humor, when he knows his time:

        What should the wars do with these jigging fools?

        Companion, hence.

Cassius seconds that and the Poet leaves. So much for the Poet. 

I’m not quite sure what purpose the Poet serves in this scene, but I’m sure if you ask Marjorie, or Stephen, or one of those other Shakespeare super-nerds they could tell you. Unfortunately, they don’t read this blog. Hey, there’s an idea…maybe I should send them a link? Couldn’t hurt. Could it? Well, could it? Famous last words, eh?

 

I thought if I plugged one of his books that might help. I particularly liked the chapter The Limits of Hatred.

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...