Tuesday, September 14, 2021

                                                                     I know not, Menas,

How lesser enmities may give way to greater.

Were’t not that we stand up against them all,

‘Twere pregnant they should square between themselves;

For they have entertained cause enough

To draw their swords: but how the fear of us

May cement their division, and bind up

The petty difference, we yet not know.

Be’t as our gods will have’t! It only stands

Our lives upon to use our strongest hands.

Come, Menas.

-Pompey

 Antony and Cleopatra            Act II, Scene i, Line 49

If I’m not mistaken, Pompey is going to be facing a military force made up of the alliance of Octavius Caesar, Antony, and Lepidus. Menas has just remarked to Pompey that Caesar and Antony have reason to be fighting with each other, and today’s Totally Random line is Pompey’s reply. In other words, Pompey is saying  we can’t count on them beating themselves; we’ll have to do our best to beat them.

I guess that’s pretty sound counsel, isn't it? And it can apply to anything, not just battles against other people. We all fight battles every day, often with situations and such. And sometimes situations change, and problems resolve themselves. But if and when that will happen we yet not know. So in the meantime it's best to face those situations using our strongest hands. In fact, our lives really do stand upon using our strongest hands. 

I'm supposed to be using this Resist-A-Band for PT exercises for my bad shoulder, but I"m not. And in fact, there's a bunch of stuff I should be doing, concerning my health, that I'm not doing a very good job at. The truth is that I should be taking Pompey's advice and using my strongest hands to get this stuff done, because my life really does stand on it. And this stuff has been at the very forefront of my thoughts lately.
It's amazing how we manage to find relevance in these Totally Random lines, isn't it?







No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...