Wednesday, February 8, 2023

 Today’s Totally Random Line(s)


                              I do believe thee:

I saw his heart in’s face.


-Polixenes

The Winter’s Tale                    Act I, Scene ii, Line 445


Well, well, we have a continuation of yesterday’s topics. This is earlier in the play than yesterday. It’s a scene where one of the king’s men is warning Polixenes that the king is going to kill him, because the king thinks Polixenes is having an affair with the queen. As soon as he’s warned, Polixenes knows it’s true because he knew something was bugging the king. I saw his heart in’s face, he says.

And look, another day, and another interesting contraction: in’s for in his. I suppose it’s used here for the sake of meter. Anyway, unlike the king who won’t believe the truth (what the heck is wrong with that guy?), Polixenes knows the truth when he hears it, and he believes it.

I guess that’s a theme in this play: seeing the truth, or not seeing the truth. I suppose that’s something that we all struggle with: recognizing what is the truth.

Yes, truth is a big topic these days. And some would have us believe that in many cases truth is unimportant. I think that way of thinking is very dangerous. Quite so. A guy should definitely care about the truth. After all, it’s in’s best interest.



Sorry, I got no pic today; maybe tomorrow.









No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                                                 Then began A stop i’the chaser, a retire; anon A rout...