Monday, January 23, 2017


What touches us ourself, shall be last served.
Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar                     Act III, scene i    Line 8
So this is Act III, scene I, the famous scene where Caesar gets killed and utters his famous ‘Et tu, Brute?’ (followed much less famously by his last three words 'Then fall Caesar!' There, now you've got a great little bit of trivia.) But that’s about seventy lines down the road. At this point he’s talking to some people outside, in a few minutes he’ll be heading inside to get slain. Just the same, I can’t help but wonder if today's line is a reference, a little bit of foreshadowing if you will, to the bunch of knives that are very shortly going to be touching ‘ourself’.

What do you think?
This is what was last served to me tonight. Actually, it was served by me. Well, by me and to me. It's the last thing I ate this evening. But I think Julius was talking about something else when he talked about 'last served.'


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...