Tuesday, January 17, 2017


So, so; now sit: and look you eat no more
Than will preserve just so much strength in us
As will revenge these bitter woes of ours.
 Titus Andronicus
 Titus Andronicus                              Act III, scene ii                   Line 1
This Titus play really keeps me on my toes. I’ve been complaining since last August that every time we visit Titus they’re either committing, or talking about committing, unspeakable acts. Well finally, in this scene, they seem to be taking it a bit easy (well, they get a little crazy going after that fly later in the scene, but we’ll give them that one). ‘Sit and eat no more than will preserve just so much strength in us as will revenge these bitter woes of ours.’ 

So what exactly is he saying here? Eat just enough to give ourselves (and this is not the royal ‘ourselves’ that we hear in the history plays) strength to revenge our bitter woes. The first few times I read this I thought he was talking about dealing just with their woes, not the people who brought about their woes. But now, I’m not so sure. Which is it? I think that in order to understand it fully, we need to read the whole scene. Oh I know what you’re going to say; “Not the whole scene, Pete! This is supposed to be a line or two.” Well, to be fair, it’s only eighty-six lines, and God knows we all need to practice our ability to concentrate on something longer that a thirty second YouTube video. And add to that that one of the lines is ‘O, O, O,’, and three of the lines are the three lines that are today’s Totally Random Daily lines that you’ve already read. So we’re done to eighty-two lines already. But I’m not going to beg you to read the lines. It’s your loss if you don’t. I read them a few times already today. It’s really good stuff. There is just a ton packed into this short scene. 

Here, I’ll give you a super short recap/context in case you want to read it. Brothers Titus and Marcus are sitting down to dinner with daughter Lavinia and grandson Lucius. Two of Titus’s sons have already been murdered and his daughter Lavinia (present at this dinner) has had her hands chopped off and her tongue cut out. As well, Titus was tricked into chopping off one of his own hands. There, that’s enough to get you going without getting into too much of the gory details. So it’s up to you. I’ll be giving you a picture here one way or the other today, since I short-changed you on that part yesterday. But first, here’s the link in the hopes that I’ve peaked your interest enough to read it

Yes, that’s Tarzan. Even he was intrigued by today’s scene and the fact that it didn’t contain any blood, gore, or guts. He actually came down from the rafters to read it! Surely that should be enough to guilt you into reading it too.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...