Sunday, July 23, 2017


Trust me, sweet,

Out of this silence yet I pickt a welcome;

And in the modesty of fearful duty

I read as much as from the rattling tongue

Of saucy and audacious eloquence.



-Theseus



A Midsummer Night’s Dream    Act V, Scene i, Line 101

Okay, this one’s gonna take a little setup and some explanation, but I think it will be worth the effort. Here goes.

This is towards the end of the play and Theseus, the Duke of Athens has been asked to pick a play to be performed. He’s picked a play that’s to be performed by a bunch of very inept actors. His bride Hippolyta has questioned his choice because of the poor actors and Theseus is explaining why he picked this play, and these actors. He’s comparing these actors to some of the men from whom he’s received formal greetings in places he has visited. With today’s Totally Random line he’s telling his bride to go along with his choice, Trust me, sweet, because he knows that sometimes the people greeting him have been so nervous that they stammer or say nothing at all and that he is able to get as much out of this type of greeting, Out of this silence yet I pickt a welcome; And in the modesty of fearful duty I read as much, as when he gets the proper flowery language of an expected greeting, as from the rattling tongue Of saucy and audacious eloquence. So he's applying that to the inept actors and saying that he'll be able to get as much out of watching them perform as he would get out of watching good actors perform. 
So now read the whole four and a half lines again. Makes sense,  right? Well, hopefully it does.
Since you should be able to get just as much out of a crappy picture as a good one (in line with today's message), I just grabbed the first pic I came across, without any regard for quality or relevance.
Well, what do you think?




No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...