Friday, July 21, 2017


Retire, we have engaged ourselves too far:



-Agrippa



Antony And Cleopatra                 Act IV, Scene vii, Line 1

 
Yes, line one; the first line in the scene. Agrippa (one of Caesar’s guys) is saying to his men ‘Retire’, which in this case means ‘Retreat’. This is a battle between Antony and Caesar’s forces that Antony will win. Unfortunately for him, it is a war he will lose.

I have to say that I feel this way often. I’ll look at some project or situation I’ve gotten myself into and I’ll say to myself (since I have no men to say it to) ‘Retire Pete, you’ve engaged yourself too far.' Actually, my wife is pretty good at saying this to me also. Like the time she asked me to paint the front hall ceiling and I decided to sheetrock over the existing ceiling first. So I took a one or two day project and turned it into a two month project. She said ‘Retire, you’ve engaged yourself too far.’ Actually it was more like ‘For crying out loud, why did you have to turn this into a huge, freaking  project!’ But what she really meant was ‘Retire, you’ve engaged yourself too far.’ At least, I’m pretty sure that’s what she meant.

And this is what it looked like when I was done. Except, I think it looks better than this because you really can't see the taping bumps that show up in this picture. At least I don't think you can. Aw geez, I need to retire, I've engaged myself too far again.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...