Friday, September 14, 2018


You shall not have it, Diomed; faith, you shall not;

-Cressida
                                   
Troilus And Cressida                          Act V, Scene ii, Line 86


Cressida is talking here about a sleeve. As far as I can tell, a sleeve is just a sleeve. But in this case it’s a token. It’s a token she received from Troilus (who just happens to be in the bushes spying on her, apparently with one arm a little more exposed than the other) that she in turn gave to Diomedes (don’t ask me why) and now she realizes that’s a mistake so she’s taken it back and is telling Diomedes he can’t have it. Or, more specifically, “You shall not have it, Diomed; faith, you shall not;

Well I’m not going to get into that whole thing to try to explain exactly what’s going on here. I’ve got something more important to point out. It occurs to me that the play Troilus And Cressida is Will’s take on the story of the Iliad. And as such, it seems to me that rather than just call it Troilus And Cressida, perhaps he should have had a subtitle. Troilus And Cressida, Homer’s Iliad Retold

Now I can’t imagine where I got that idea. 

Available at www.pursuingwillbooks.com




No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...