Thursday, May 9, 2019


Aye, aye. Thou wouldst be gone to join with Richmond:

I will not trust you, sir.

-Richard

                                   

King Richard The Third             Act IV, Scene iv, Line 490



This is Richard III talking to Lord Stanley about Richmond. Stanley has just volunteered to go and round up his friends to help Richard in his fight against Richmond. And Richmond is Henry, the Earl of Richmond, who is to become King Henry VII (father of Henry the Eighth if that helps). So Richard knows that Richmond is coming for the throne and he’s a little worried right now about who’s on his side and who isn’t. Of course, you have to realize the Richard III was not the most trustworthy soul, so it’s not surprising that he doesn’t trust anyone else. But to be fair, in this case I don’t think he was wrong in not trusting Stanley. I will not trust you, sir. Well, that’s pretty straightforward.

Yes, that's me sitting in a rather large tree stump. And that building behind me? Monticello. Relevance? Absolutely! It's all about the trust. 

This is the home of Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration of Independence and the third president. Smart? Yes! Founding Father? You bet. Trustworthy? Not one bit. If I were to face him I would say I will not trust you, sir!

The guy was a weasel. Don't believe me? Look it up. 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...