Monday, November 11, 2019


Our meeting is Bridgenorth: and , Harry, you

Shall march through Glostershire; by which account,

Our business valued, some twelve days hence

Our general forces at Bridgenorth shall meet.



-King Henry



King Henry The Fourth Part I             Act III, scene ii, line 177



So they are apparently going to hook up in Bridgenorth. Well I’m from a town called Bridgeport. So should we assume that these are both towns named for Bridges? One with a bridge in the north and one with a bridge in, on or near a port? I'm not familiar with the bridge in my hometown that it's named after. 
In any event, King Henry is being somewhat emphatic that they are going to all meet in Bridgenorth. He starts the sentence saying such and ends the sentence repeating it. Bridgenorth folks. It's going to be Bridgenorth. Need I repeat it one more time? Yes, Bridgenorth.

These four are from Bridgeport: and a quartet of first cousins they are; living now in Tennessee, Tucson, Bethlehem, and Sydney, but all originally from Bridgeport.
There, I started and ended the sentence with Bridgeport, but not Bridgenorth. Got it? Bridgeport.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...