Wednesday, March 25, 2020


               Sir,
For holy offices I have a time; a time
To think upon the part of business which
I bear i’the state; and nature does require
Her times of preservation, which perforce
I, her frail son, amongst my brethren mortal,
Must give my tendance to.

-Cardinal Wolsey

King Henry The Eighth                Act III, scene ii, line 144


Without getting into context and, instead, simply dwelling on the lines given; Wolsey is telling the king that he spends some of his time on his job as a religious leader, some of his time on serving the king in business of state, and some of his time eating, sleeping and taking care of other physical needs. He has stated these three in the order God, country, self; using seven words for God, fourteen for country, and twenty-three for self. The order is certainly not coincidence, but I wonder if the number of words is indicative of anything?
What do you think?

Well, I'm not sure it's very relevant, but I decided to put in a pic of myself out in nature. This was back in the day when I gave more tendance to nature. Of course, by 'nature', I mean the natural world, the outdoors. That's not exactly how Will is using 'nature' in today's Totally Random line, but, oh well.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...