Monday, June 15, 2020



T'were to consider too curiously, to consider so.

-Horatio

Hamlet                        Act V, scene i, line 212


Translation: You think too much, Hamlet. In fact, if you wanted to sum us this play in one sentence (and I’m not saying that you really could), you might use this line, You think too much, Hamlet. Though Will’s way of putting it is much nicer. T'were to consider too curiously, to consider so.

Hamlet spends an awful lot of time thinking, and re-thinking, in this play. Horatio’s response here is to Hamlet’s thought that it might be possible to trace Alexander the Great from his life, to his dead body, to that body rotting into dirt, and from thence to a cork stopping up a beer keg. That’s right, that’s Alexander the Great stopping up that keg of beer over there. Wow. 

Yes, I definitely feel like Hamlet a lot of the time. And just like him, I’m pretty sure that most of my thinking ain’t doing me much good.

Here's me with my Hamlet face; I'm thinking. I've no idea what I was thinking about, but I'm definitely thinking.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...