Tuesday, September 22, 2020

 

Sir, in my heart there was a kind of fighting,

That would not let me sleep: methoughts I lay

Worse than the mutines in the bilboes (mutineers shackled in irons). Rashly,

And praised be rashness for it, let us know,

Our indiscretion sometime serves us well,

When our deep plots do pall: and that should learn us

There’s a divinity that shapes our ends,

Rough-hew them how we will.

 -Hamlet

 Hamlet                            Act V, scene ii, line 6

 

Another long one, but sometimes I just hate to break them up. This is Hamlet explaining to his friend (his only friend) Horatio what happened on the ship to England. He goes on to tell how he found the letter that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern had, the letter that told the king of England to execute Hamlet. The prince tells how he replaced it with a letter telling the king to execute R&G instead.

 

I like the last part, There’s a divinity that shapes our ends,/Rough-hew them how we will. No matter how hard we try to muck it up, the Lord has a plan for us. In other words, All will be well, even after all the promises you’ve broken to yourself. It’s a reassuring thought, particularly in 2020, isn’t it?

 

I was trying to find a picture of something rough-hewn. I decided that I look a little rough-hewn in this pic. What do you think?
 

 

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...