Saturday, August 21, 2021

 

Nay,‘tis most credible; we here receive it

A certainty, voucht from our cousin Austia,

With caution, that the Florentine will move us

For speedy aid; wherein our dearest friend

Prejudicates the business, and would seem

To have us make denial.

 

-King

 

All’s Well That Ends Wel               Act I, Scene ii, Line 8

 

What’s most credible? It’s that the Florentines and the Senoys are continuing a war, and apparently the king’s friend, Austria, is warning the king that the Florentines will be looking to him for aid, and he should not give it. How about that?

Now, how about this word, prejudicates. Austria (in this case a person, not a country) prejudicates the business. Are you familiar with the word. It’s not commonly used. In fact, Word gives it a red underlining, and you know what that means. It looks a lot like prejudice which is a pretty common word. And, in fact, this is a verb form of pretty much the same meaning (I looked it up). It means to form a judgment prematurely, or on the basis of incomplete or imperfect evidence; in other words, to be prejudicial.

I think it’s a good word. That's right, it's worthy of getting more use. Now please don’t prejudicate me on that notion. Give it some thought; don’t form a premature judgement, okay? It's rarely, if ever, a good idea to prejudicate.

This here is my new little friend that I went to visit last week (and the main reason I've not posted in over a week). She's cute as a button; a beautiful little girl. She's also half Asian (an asset, if you ask me), and looks it. I pray to God that no one ever prejudicates her based on that fact.

 

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

It's interesting you had to look it up. Are you saying that two words that seem like they are derived from the same place could actually mean different things? Hmmmmmmm???

Pete Blagys said...

I believe you misunderstood. They all pertain to the same meaning: pre-judging

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...