Thursday, October 6, 2016




This priest has no pride in him!

-Duke of Suffolk (aside to Duke of Norfolk)
King Richard Henry the Eighth                  Act II, scene ii    Line 81

Pride. This is the second time in a week we’ve come upon this pride thing. Interesting.

We’re back in Act II Scene ii, same place we were in August, almost two months ago, the only other time we’ve struck upon Henry VIII. That time we had a most innocuous line, ‘Well met, my lord chamberlain.’ We didn’t get into any context on that one and I ended up showing you a picture of my Henry VIII pencil.

So should we forget about context again and just attack this line as is (remember, Henry VIII is a pretty much unknown quantity to me)? Or maybe even just kind of work around this line altogether. I have to say that there’s been a pretty wide latitude of stuff that we’ve come up with during this project. Some of the lines have been absolute gold. Some have been less than gold, but still good fodder for discussion. And some, well…

And this one falls into that some, well… category. I think in some of the cases of the some, well… lines I’ve been able to come up with things to talk about even though it hasn’t really been the day’s Totally Random line. But today, well I’m at a loss. I’ve rolled the die for tomorrow and I can tell you that tomorrow’s page is in King Lear and, whether or not we pull a good line, I’m pretty sure I’m going to be able to give you some decent discussion on that baby.

Right now though…

These two guys don’t much like Cardinal Wolsey. He’s a bit of a weasel and he’s got the king’s ear most of the time. And this is their comment. ‘No pride’ is not a good thing as far as these guys are concerned, so perhaps we’ll leave it at that. I suppose we’ll get into this play eventually, but for now I’m gonna take a pass on further discussion. Not the best post, I’ll grant you. I’m reminded of Arlo Guthrie near the end of Alice’s Restaurant. ‘I’ve been singing this song now for twenty five minutes. I could sing it for another twenty five minutes. I’m not proud…or tired.’ Well I’m not proud either. But I am tired. So let's call it a day.

                                                                   And let's call this Cardinal Wolsey. The guy with no pride. 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...