Saturday, October 8, 2016





Why, sir, what’s your conceit in that?
 -Petruchio
 The Taming of the Shrew             Act IV, scene iii  Line 158


A pretty simple line today. Conceit means idea, or thought. Petruchio is simply asking Grumio what he’s thinking. It’s a kind of convoluted scene, so I don’t think we’ll go into it. This is our first shot at The Taming of the Shrew. It’s a comedy and it’s a pretty interesting play. It’s one of the first ones that I listened to on Arkangel, but it’s been a few years and I’m not all that up on it. So I’m not going to get into explaining the context of the line, or the scene, or what the play is all about. Having said that I could turn to you (if you were here) and say ‘What’s your conceit in that?’ Well, what do you think of that? I’m writing a post and I’m not going to spend any time talking about today’s Totally Random line. What’s your conceit in that? Eh?


                                                      What's this guy's conceit? Sure looks like there's something he's thinking about.

2 comments:

Mrs Blue said...

my conceit is where are you sitting?

Pete Blagys said...

I was sitting on a boat looking out the window. I don't remember what I was seeing.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...