Wednesday, February 1, 2017


Famed be thy tutor, and thy parts of nature
Thrice-famed, beyond all erudition:
Ulysses
Troilus and Cressida                                       Act II, scene iii   Line 169
Bottom line: I have no idea what this line is about. And I don’t know what to do with it. I know a little about The Iliad, upon which this part of the story is based, but I do not know this play.

So I tried listening to this scene just now and I fell asleep before I got to today’s Totally Random line. OH boy, now what do I do. Well, I can tell you that erudition refers to intelligence. Does that help? Probably not.

Famed be your teacher, and your parts of nature should be triple framed, beyond all intelligence. Okay, but what’s his parts of nature? What’s that mean? Wow, I’m lost on this one.
Okay, so this is a section of one shelf of my bookcases. You can see the Iliad there (which I haven't worked my way through yet, though I have read The Odyssey next to it), and that black book eleven books over to the right is Latin and Greek Etymology, which is the textbook from the course of that name that I took in 1976. The shelf right above this shelf is my Will shelf. But none of this is helping me today. Of today's Totally Random line I can say: I haven't enough erudition, and I'm stuck.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...