Thursday, July 20, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Mustard-seed

 

Mustard-seed

A Midsummer Night’s Dream       Act III, Scene i, Line 91



Mustard-seed is answering when Bottom asks him his name. Bottom is meeting the four fairies of Titania right here. He’s met Cobweb and Peas-blossom. I’m not sure if we get to know the name of the fourth one. In any event, here is Bottom’s reply to Mustard-seed.

Good Master Mustard-seed, I know your patience well: that same cowardly, giant-like ox-beef hath devour’d many a gentleman of your house: I promise you your kindred hath made my eyes water ere now. I desire you more acquaintance, good Master Mustard-seed. He has something quirky like that to say to Cobweb and Peas-blossom, and of all of them he desires more acquaintance. And the fourth fairy - what happened to him? I guess that’s a mystery for the ages. Wait, I just looked ahead. It’s Moth; but he doesn’t get to talk in this scene. Well, so much about the mystery. Moth is the name of the fourth fairy. I guess we’ll have to find something else to wonder about. That shouldn’t be hard.


Well, here's yesterday's mystery solved. The missing muffins. Actually, these aren't exactly the same muffins, and now there's three instead of two. But this is exactly what yesterday's muffins looked like (if there had been three of them).

And also, more relevant to today's line: That bag of chips there - do you know what they are? I'll bet you don't. Those are mustard flavored Doritos. I kid you not: made, presumably, from mustard-seed. So there you go. 
Mustard-seed. 

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Why are all the names in A Midsummer Night's Dream so absurd?

I don't believe you about the mustard chips.

Pete Blagys said...

I don’t know

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...