Friday, May 5, 2017



If thou deny'st it twenty times, thou liest;
And I will turn thy falsehood to thy heart,
Where it was forged, with my rapier's point.
-Lord Fitzwater
King Richard The Second                 Act IV, Scene i, Line 40


First of all, I’ve got to say that I love the name Lord Fitzwater. It almost sounds like seltzer water. Or fizz water. It’s just got a great sound. Don’t you agree? And ‘Lord’. It’s just fabulous. And of course anyone with the name of Fitzwater has got to be going by the name ‘Fitz’ to his friends, right? One of my cardiologist’s (yes, two cardiologists, an electrician and a plumber) is named Blitzer, but of course I call him Blitz. Well, not actually, I refer to him as Blitz, but when I talk to him I call him Doc. But his friends must call him Blitz, no? And second, how about the word ‘forged’. That’s a word near and dear to us Tolkieners’ hearts. The forging of the one ring. The sword that was re-forged.



Having said that about some of the words, you should note that we covered this scene, if not this specific line, back in November. It’s the scene where everyone starts throwing their gloves down, to the point where somebody runs out of gloves. So I’m not going to get into this scene too much.



But hey, here’s something interesting. If you read yesterday’s line (which is Claudius talking to Laertes in Hamlet), and directly afterwards read today’s line (which is Fitz talking to someone in King Richard The Second), it seems to fit. The two lines seem to go together as if they were in the same conversation, either a continuation of yesterday’s line, or a reply to yesterday’s line.


Now must your conscience my acquaintance seal,
And you must put me in your heart for friend,
Sith you have heard, and with a knowing ear,
That he which hath your noble father slain
Pursued my life.

If thou deny'st it twenty times, thou liest;
And I will turn thy falsehood to thy heart,
Where it was forged, with my rapier's point.

Isn’t that funny! Maybe we should take a look at that on an ongoing basis to see how completely unrelated lines go, or don’t go, together. Hmm. Or maybe not.

This is my view from my hospital bed looking down at the foot of the bed. It's from back in December. And yes, today's pic is perfectly relevant. Why was I in the hospital? Because Blitz put me there for some tests.  If you zoom in on that white chart you can see 'EP Study'. Don't ask me what EP stands for. But whatever it is, Blitz decided I just had to have one. That wacky Blitz!



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...