Wednesday, June 7, 2017



Know of your youth, examine well your blood,
Whether, if you yield not to your father’s choice,
You can endure the livery of a nun,
For aye to be in shady cloister mew’d,
To live a barren sister all your life,
Chanting faint hymns to the cold fruitless moon.



-Theseus

A Midsummer Night’s Dream                        Act I, Scene i, Line 69


This is Thesus’s answer to Hermia when she asks what her fate will be if she disobeys her father by not marrying Demetrius. She’ll be sent to the convent. Well that’s a real boot in the seat of the pants, isn’t it?
But just for the record, ‘ol Thesus here is painting a pretty glum picture of the convent with phrases like ‘barren sister’ and ‘cold fruitless moon.’ I don’t know about you, but there are definitely times when I’ve daydreamed about the life of a cloistered monk where I’d be removed from all the worries of the world and just have to worry about my meditations and my little string bean garden. Sometimes that doesn’t seem half bad. I would probably use phrases like ‘restful life’, ‘beautiful, beckoning moon’, and ‘wonderful little string beans’. But that’s just me. 



And maybe I’d have friends like this little guy who was in our garden last year. Yeah, I can definitely see an upside to this.




 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...