Wednesday, June 21, 2017


That’s most certain, and with you; next month with us.


-Regan



King Lear                                           Act I, Scene i, Line 309



Well, just a few lines previous we had the good sisters Goneril and Regan telling their father Lear just how much they loved him. And now that Lear, Cordelia, and everyone else has left the room they have already begun plotting on how they will take advantage of the old man. Today’s line is Regan responding to Goneril. Here’s the whole conversations between the two now that they’re alone.




GONERIL  Sister, it is not a little I have to say of what most nearly appertains to us both. I think our father will hence to-night.


REGAN  That's most certain, and with you; next month with us.


GONERIL  You see how full of changes his age is; the observation we have made of it hath not been little: he always loved our sister most; and with what poor judgment he hath now cast her off appears too grossly.


REGAN  'Tis the infirmity of his age: yet he hath ever but slenderly known himself.


GONERIL  The best and soundest of his time hath been but rash; then must we look to receive from his age, not alone the imperfections of long-engraffed condition, but therewithal the unruly waywardness that infirm and choleric years bring with them.


REGAN  Such unconstant starts are we like to have from him as this of Kent's banishment.

GONERIL There is further compliment of leavetaking between France and him. Pray you, let's hit together: if our father carry authority with such dispositions as he bears, this last surrender of his will but offend us.


REGAN  We shall further think on't.


GONERIL  We must do something, and i' the heat.




So they’re really not very nice people, these sisters. But having said that, I also have to say that Regan’s comment which is today’s Totally Random line does seem somewhat innocent, taken by itself. In fact, I can see myself saying something like this when referring to my mother-in-law. But of course the difference is that I would just be complaining about having her stay at our house, I wouldn’t be gouging someone’s eyes out with a shoe later on.

And speaking of that ray of sunshine,  here she is. I knew it was only a matter of time before she made it into my blog. But I have to say that I don't think my mother-in-laws unruly waywardness can be blamed on infirm and choleric years. I'm pretty sure she was always possessed of unruly waywardness, and more.



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...