Saturday, June 3, 2017


With whispering and most guilty diligence,

In action all of precept, he did show me

The way twice o’er.



-Isabella



Measure For Measure                        Act IV, Scene i, Line 39


Precept means detailed direction. I had to look that one up. It’s not a really uncommon word, but it’s one of those words that though I’ve heard it, I’m not really sure what it means. So it means detailed direction. Isabella is talking to the Duke (disguised as a friar), and she’s referring to Angelo. She’s saying that Angelo showed her the way into his private garden where they are scheduled to have a clandestine meeting. She is obviously emphasizing Angelo’s guilt. And rightfully so. Also, the fact that Angelo made sure to show her twice over shows us that Angelo wanted to be sure that she found her way to the rendezvous.

Yes, Angelo is guilty as sin.

Here is the detailed directions (the precept) for preparing this box of macaroni and cheese. Honestly though, I'd have to say that my taste buds didn't quite reach a state of disbelief.

2 comments:

Mrs Blue said...

Good pic and commentary. Very funny.

In nursing we call the people that train us "preceptors".

Pete Blagys said...

That's very interesting. Language is amazing.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...