Friday, October 12, 2018


No more words, we beseech you.

-First Senator
                                   
Coriolanus                                                 Act III, Scene i, Line 74


I’ll say it again, I just don’t know why this play is not taught more in schools. Or maybe it is and I just don’t know about it. In any event, it’s a fabulous thing. There’s just a lot to look at here regarding politics and mobs and leadership and democracy and  more. And just about all of it is so relevant to today’s world.

Today’s line is one of the senators telling Coriolanus to stop talking, and it’s not going to work as the general is going to do quite the opposite. Yes, Coriolanus is going to keep talking and keep getting  himself in trouble.

Now I have to say that what struck me this morning was the words themselves: No more words, we beseech you. With my habit of picking a few words to meditate on every day, coming up with the words No more words, was a little startling. Perhaps upsetting? Should I take it as a sign? Don’t worry, I won’t.

Actions speak louder than words. A picture’s worth a thousand words. Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me. All these sayings seek to minimize the importance of words. And yet it’s words that separate us from the beasts. Do you think that when Will wrote this line he looked down and it and said to himself
“No more words?!? Insanity! Must have words!!”

Must have words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 



1 comment:

Squeaks said...

It reminds me of "enough #ThoughtsAndPrayers, we want #PolicyAndChange" - But I don't know if Will Shakes knew about that one.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...