Saturday, October 26, 2019


And for your brother, he was lately sent

From your kind aunt, Duchess of Burgundy,

With aid of soldiers to this needful war.



-Earl of Warwick



King Henry The Sixth Part III           Act II, scene i, line 145





I don’t know if it’s just me (and it probably is), but it sounds a little funny to have these two soldiers talking about how one of their aunts has sent reinforcements. Perhaps this sounds sexist, and in this ‘me too’ world it seems like I can’t say much of anything without being sexist, but it just sounds a little silly to have these guys at war hearing about how auntie has sent some help. 

It reminds me of that scene from Out Of Africa where Meryl Streep’s husband goes off to fight, and then sends a note back to Meryl to send more supplies. Instead of sending supplies she brings the supplies to her husband at the front. She shows up with the supplies and everyone is staring at this woman who riding on an elephant or camel, -or maybe it’s just a horse, I can’t remember for sure- and leading the supply train. Her husband is not there, so one guy turns to another and says, with just the right amount of derision in his voice ‘Got tell Dieter his wife is here.’ Perhaps you’ve got to see it, but trust me, it’s funny.

I couldn't find a clip from the movie, so here's a picture of my wife on a camel. I know, it's not the same, but it's the best I could do.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...