Friday, April 24, 2020


There’s but a shirt and a half in all my company; and the half-shirt is two napkins tackt together and thrown over the shoulders like a herald’s coat without sleeves; and the shirt, to say the truth, stolen from my host at Saint Albans, or the red-nose innkeeper of Daventry.



-Sir John Falstaff



King Henry The Fourth Part I      Act IV, scene ii, line 47



This is part of about forty lines of prose that is Falstaff talking to himself about the tattered group of men he is going to be leading into battle. We’ve visited this soliloquy before, but it was about three years ago and at the time we had picked a line earlier in the speech. Looks like I posted about that line on April 6, 2017. How about that? In that previous post he’s talking about the ages of the men in his group. In this post he’s talking about the lack of clothing on his men. Here’s the link to that previous post if you’re interested. https://totallyrandomdailyshakespeare.blogspot.com/2017/04/younger-sons-to-younger-brothers.html



This is the same pic I used in that 2017 post. I couldn't pass up using it again. That time I used it to exemplify the 'younger son', but today I'll key in on the shirt, since shirts are today's topic. I had mentioned Will's stylin' plaid pants in 2017, but I think you'll have to admit that my striped shirt has its own bit of style. No, it can't compare to the pants, but what could? 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...