Saturday, May 16, 2020


The one I’ll slay, the other slayeth  me.



-Demetrius



A Midsummer Night’s Dreamy                      Act II, scene i, line 190



As I’ve stated too many times, this is not one of my favorites of Will’s works. I do have to say that I’ve been starting to appreciate the parts with Snug the joiner and his friends who put on the play within the play. Today’s line, however, is not from them.


When I first read today’s line and this section of the scene this morning I thought this was taking place after Puck put the love potion in their eyes. But alas, no. Demetrius is madly in love with Hermia who’s run off with Lysander, the latter being the one Demetrius wants to slay and the former the one who slayeth him. And Helena is with Demetrius, who's looking for Hermia and Lysander, telling him how much she loves him regardless of how poorly he treats her. 


Ugh. A comedy.

Yes, it's a pan full of onions and peppers. Relevance? I'm more fond of onions and peppers than I am of this play.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...