Wednesday, May 5, 2021

 

What must I say?—

‘I pray sir,’ – Plague upon’t! I cannot bring 

My tongue to such a pace. ‘Look, sir, my wounds!

I got them in my country’s service, when

Some certain of your brethren roar’d, and ran

From the noise of our own drums.’


-Caius Marcius Coriolanus

Coriolanus                      Act II, Scene iii, Line 54

 This is pretty much the crux of this whole play. Caius Marcius is a valiant soldier but he has no stomach for those who are not. Well, that’s not the whole deal, but it’s a big piece of it.

I still find this wound thing curious. Apparently it is important that Caius show his war wounds to the people, and he does not want to. He doesn’t believe he should have to, and he definitely believes himself better than the people. And I suppose that will be his undoing. There’s just a lot to chew on in this play. It is for sure one of my favorites.



I was looking for a pic to post (usually the hardest part of blogging), and I came across this pic of Steve Jobs carved into a pumpkin. That in and of itself is pretty odd. But then I thought, well Jobs may be a good example of a modern day Coriolanus. I didn't know the guy personally, but based on the position he rose to in the business world, it's not outrageous to think that he might have considered himself to be above the common rabble, above those who would run from the noise of our own drums. Then again, I don't really know, do I?

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Why, thou full dish of fool, Troy.   Thersites Troilus and Cressida                       Act V, ...