Monday, May 3, 2021

 

Nothing is good, I see, without respect:

Methinks it sounds much sweeter than by day.

 

-Portia

The Merchant of Venice                Act V, Scene i, Line 145

 

The subject here is the music that Portia and Nerissa hear coming from their home as they arrive back there late at night. This is the final scene of the play where everyone meets back at Belmont and they’re all happy. Shylock, at this point, seems to have been forgotten by everyone, including his own daughter and probably the theater audience. 

The discussion here between Portia and Nerissa is about music and more. There’s about twenty lines of dialogue here where they carry the subject of music to talk about life in general. It’s worth a read, or a listen, but I’m afraid I have to get to work now, so I don't have the time to get into it. It does, however, afford me the opportunity of giving you a song instead of a picture for today. Here's a song that always makes me feel good. I'm not sure it has anything to do with today's post, but that's okay. Here you go. I hope it makes you feel good too.

The Gabe Dixon Band-All Will Be Well - YouTube

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   This is strange: your father’s in some passion That works him strongly.   Ferdinand The Tempest...