Tuesday, December 5, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines


 

 Escalus,--


Duke

Measure For Measure           Act I, Scene 1,  Line 1


This is the first line, actually the first word, of the play. The Duke is starting his sentence, speaking to Escalus. Escalus has the second two words, My lord?

And then the duke gets into it. Into what? I have no idea. Here, check out the beginning of what the duke is saying to Escalus. Of government the properties to unfold, Would seem in me t’affect speech and discourse; Since I am put to know that your own science Exceeds, in that, the list of all advice My strength can give you: then no more remains But that to your sufficiency, as your worth is able, And let them work. There, that’s the first sentence of the play. If you’re anything like me (which is silly to say because I’m sure you’re not) you’re saying “What the fahrfugnugen?”

Now, if you look at that sentence you will quickly realize that there are no tough words in it. The vocabulary is nothing special; we know what every word means. But taken as a whole? Oy. Or perhaps Oyee Vey!

Yup, it’s Will messing with syntax. And to think, he’s decided to make that the first sentence of the whole play! What the heck Will! What were you thinking?!

And we’re expecting school kids in 2023 to understand this? We’re expecting these kids to believe this is written in modern English? 

Oy!


Picture? Are you kidding me? What would I give you a picture of?


2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Did he really put all those periods there? That's quite an exaggerated pause?

Pete Blagys said...

Actually, I'm looking back at this and I'm not sure what those periods are doing there. I think it's huge typo on my part. Ooops.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...