Wednesday, December 13, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

  

Now, by my holidame, here comes Katherine!


Baptista

The Taming of the Shrew      Act V, Scene ii,  Line 100

 

The end of the play is ninety lines further on. If you recall, it ends with Petruchio proving that his wife is more obedient to him than Lucentio’s or Hortensio’s are to them. He proves that he has titularly tamed the shrew. (What do you think of that word, titularly?)

Katherine comes at Petruchio’s command, and then gives a little speech to the other two women about how they should treat their husbands like kings. Petruchio and Katherine go off to bed, and Hortensio and Lucentio are left in wonder. And that’s The Taming Of The Shrew.

Today’s take away? Holidame. By my holidame: a wonderful expression for us to use.


By my holidame, he's a curious little fellow!



1 comment:

Squeaks said...

So "shrew" is his wife? Was it as derogatory a word then as I feel it is now? I hope my husband isn't going to work calling me a "shrew".

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...