Friday, May 3, 2024

 Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Nay; good my fellows, do not please sharp fate

To grace it with your sorrows.

 

Antony

Antony and Cleopatra    Act IV, Scene xiv,  Line 135


Well, day three of retirement. Another day, and another line in a long list of Shakesperar’s characters’ last words. Perhaps we should look at the whole passage since it’s Antony’s last. And let’s face it, we have time now. Don’t worry, it’s only six lines.

Nay, good my fellows, do not please sharp fate
To grace it with your sorrows: bid that welcome
Which comes to punish us, and we punish it
Seeming to bear it lightly. Take me up:
I have led you oft: carry me now good friends,
And have my thanks for all.

I think it’s a pretty easy passage. At first I got lost on the first line because somehow I missed the fact that ‘please’ is the verb there. Don’t make fate happy with your sorrow: Welcome cruel fate, and you will punish fate by taking its punishments lightly. Or something like that. 

Now the more I look at it, the more I like that first line.

Nay, good my fellows, do not please sharp fate

To grace it with your sorrows.

Wow, that is classic. The whole thing. This is exactly why they refer to Will as the Poet Playwright. Those two lines are poetry. Nay, good my fellows. I love that – good my fellows.

And do not please sharp fate. Isn’t that about the best one word description of fate – sharp! The twists and turns of fate can be as sharp as anything there is.

What a great line. I think I found the opening line of my own elegy. I love it.

Okay, but just a sec. I made a mistake. Antony doesn’t die here; it just sounds like he does. He fell on his sword several lines back, but apparently he temporarily survives his suicide attempt. They carry him, dying, to Cleopatra and he dies in the next scene. For the record, his last word, in the next scene, are, 

Now my spirit is going; I can no more.

I felt I had to give you that since I opened telling you that we had Antony’s last lines. And now we did.


But one more time..

Nay, good my fellows, do not please sharp fate

To grace it with your sorrows.

Fabulous!



"Mojo! Sleepyhead! Wake up! You're gonna miss a really good line."

"What?"



2 comments:

Squeaks said...

It's a bit soon to be working on your elegy.

Pete Blagys said...

I suppose you're right.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...