Tuesday, May 7, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines


 

You are welcome: but my uncle-father and aunt-mother are deceived.

 

Hamlet

Hamlet                   Act II, Scene ii,  Line 381

 

Why are they deceived? Because, says Hamlet, I am but mad north northwest: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw.

He’s speaking in riddles more or less. Hamlet knows that the king has sent Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to find out what’s going on with him, and why he’s been acting so strange, so he’s just toying with the pair.

A hawk from a handsaw. I wonder why Will picked that pair of items.  Random? Oh, I doubt it. See, here’s another discussion opportunity. Why a hawk and a handsaw. Why not a rake from a rocking chair?

Well?

Or how about a chihuahua and a jigsaw puzzle, eh? 
What, you think a chihuahua can't do a jigsaw puzzle? 
Now you're just being chihuahuaist.

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

I think he can chew a jigsaw puzzle. I don't think he can do one though.

Pete Blagys said...

That's probably correct. In fact, I know from experience that he can chew one.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...