Thursday, June 27, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

My poor body, madam, requires it: I am driven on by the flesh; and he must needs go that the devil drives.   

 

Lavache

All’s Well That Ends Well     Act I, Scene iii, Line 30



Okay. Lavache, a servant of the Countess, is talking to the Countess and asking her permission to marry Isabel, another servant of the Countess. Today’s Lines are Lavache’s reply to the Countess’s question of why Lavache wants to marry.

The answer above makes Lavache sound like a bit of a cad. However, just previous to this Lavache had said

I think I shall never have the blessing of God till I have issue of my body; for they say barnes are blessings.

By issue and barnes he’s talking about offspring, and children.

So I don’t understand how in one breath he talking about God’s blessing and the next about what the devil drives. And in fact, in both cases he’s talking pretty much about the same thing.


Confused? Well, it's a Shakespearean comedy, so welcome to the club.

Though he hasn't come right out and said it, I'm pretty sure that Mojo's had about enough of the comedies. Today, as soon as he heard the words All's Well That End's Well he hopped down and scooted over to the window. There, he did his best Meerkat impersonation, whilst muttering, 
"End's Well, Schmends Well." 


No comments:

                       If you please, Be’t at her father’s.       Duke Othello                     Act I, Scene iii, Line 240 Th...