Tuesday, December 13, 2016


…but thou wilt frame
Thyself, forsooth, hereafter theirs, so far
As thou hast power and person.
-Volumnia
Coriolanus                                          Act III, scene ii   Line 86
Lots of interesting things here. First off, how about the name Volumnia. That’s Coriolanus’s mother and she’s giving Coriolanus some advice of how to appear to be more likeable to the masses so as to win their approval. But what about that name, Volumnia. All I can think of when I see that name is volume. So it seems like a good name for a person with a lot of volume. That is to say, a large person. In other words, it doesn’t seem like a name that any woman would want. I’m just saying. And what about this thing where mom is telling him what he has to do? He’s a general who kicks butt on the battlefield, and he’s ascended to the leadership of the country, and now mom is telling him what he’s gotta do. And she’s not making a suggestion here. It’s not ‘Well, maybe you should consider framing yourself.’ No, it's ‘Thou wilt frame thyself’. And Coriolanus listens. He listens to his mother and at least tries to act the part. He can’t quite pull it off, but he tries.

Next, we’ve managed to sneak that word ‘forsooth’ in here. I looked this one up in the Shakespeare glossary that’s in my Shakespeare I phone app. We’ve all heard that word used in old stuff, but I wanted to see what the real definition was. It’s an adverb meaning ‘in truth, certainly, truly, indeed.’ So it really has little meaning, it’s just a sort of minor exclamation. I say ‘indeed’ a lot when I’m responding to something that someone says and I don’t really have anything to say.

‘Dad, I saw a guy today who had two heads.’

‘Indeed.’

And it seems to work. But it really doesn’t add much. If we took ‘forsooth’ out of today’s Totally Random line it wouldn’t really change the line much, would it. In fact, I think it might make it slightly more understandable for us twenty first centurians. Yes, I realize that centurian is not a word, but what else do you call someone living in the twenty first century? Anyway, Will put ‘forsooth’ there, so I guess it belongs.

So the question is, will Coriolanus have the power and the person to pull this off. Will he be able to go in front of the masses and appear civil, as opposed to condescending? Well, if you’ve been reading these posts you’ll know that he does indeed end up getting the boot. So I guess the answer is no. And I’m personally still left with the question: Is Coriolanus a better man for being true to what he is, even if that's a guy who thinks he’s much better than the common folk. Or would he be a better man if he was able to swallow his pride a bit and act more humble so as to be a more effective leader? It’s a tricky question, forsooth.
This is me and my mom. I'm not sure, but I think I probably stopped doing what she told me not too long after this picture was taken. And you can see by the tight grip she's go on me that I'm probably even trying to go against her here and fall on my head. I definitely didn't give her the respect she deserved. Not like that Coriolanus guy. Now there was a good son!



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...