Sunday, December 11, 2016


Nor, showing, as the manner is, his wounds
To the people, beg their stinking breaths.

-Junius Brutus

Coriolanus                          Act II, scene i     Line 237

And once again we’ve got this Junius Brutus guy from Coriolanus. I don’t know if you recall, but he’s a minor character in Coriolanus. He’s a sleazy politician, and pretty much throughout the play he’s working against Coriolanus. We've seen him before. Here's the link if you don't recall. I never quite got my head around this guy to figure out what his deal was. The best I could figure is that Will just wanted to portray a sleazy politician. And he did a good job with it.

Politician Junius is talking about Coriolanus in today’s Totally Random line, and he’s telling us where Coriolanus is coming up short. Remember, the thing that brought Coriolanus down in the end was his unwillingness/inability to show humility and play the political game. And Junius here is expert at playing the political game. He’s a politician! And apparently in Coriolanus’s time some part of the game and the humility is to show your war wounds, literally, to the public. That’s what Junius is talking about. But you can see also what contempt Junius actually has for the people, the voters, when he refers to ‘their stinking breaths.’ The guy is just a sleaze ball. I can't help but think, based on this Junius character, that Will didn't think too much of politics or politicians. What do you think?
Here's my latest war wound. I fell down and cracked my noggin on the tv table. So I guess you could say I got this is in the war of everyday living. But since I don't have any plans to run for public office I probably won't have to show the wound to the public. Just as well. It's not a very impressive wound.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...