Tuesday, December 27, 2016


You must begin,-- ‘Will you, Orlando,’--
Rosalind
As You Like It                                     Act IV, scene i    Line 125
This is Rosalind telling her cousin Celia what she has to say in order to perform the wedding of her, Rosalind, and Orlando. So what do we think of that? Celia is not a minister or justice of the peace, or vicar. So why does Rosalind think it’s okay for her to perform a wedding. I don’t really know. If I’m not mistaken these two do manage to get married by the end of the play, don’t they? But right now they’re in a big old rush and you know it's not gonna work out here. But I guess that’s true of lots of couples down through the ages.

Now it just occurred to me that we had another screwy wedding related scene in this play a few weeks back. It was 11/28 and in that scene they actually had a vicar but decided that he wasn’t good enough. And now in this scene they’re trying to make a go of it without a vicar, or a justice of the peace, or anything. What’s up with these kooks?
This is Betty and Mitzy working on this scene. I think they've just finished a few rounds at the bowling alley. They've talked Officer Bob into standing in as Orlando, but I don't think he's all that keen about it. My guess is that Officer Bob doesn't even know the lines he's supposed to be saying. In fact, he looks a little pissed off. But Betty and Mitzy look pretty happy about things, don't they?

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...