Sunday, February 9, 2020


Come, sermon me no further:

No villainous bounty yet hath past my heart;

Unwisely, not ignobly, have I given.

-Timon



Timon Of Athens                            Act II, scene ii, line 176





then must you speak/Of one that loved not wisely, but too well. Yes, that line is Othello speaking at the end of his play, but it reminded me of Timon speaking above. Timon has been very generous with his money and possessions, giving out gifts to all his friends. And now he’s realized that this might have been a mistake, proving that it is definitely not good to give unwisely.


Timon asked his buddy to sermon me no further about his unwise giving. But I bet they do a lot of sermonizing about giving, wise or unwise, in this place.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...