Friday, July 10, 2020


Do they still fly to the Roman?

-Coriolanus
  
Tullus Afidius                      Act IV, scene vii, line 1

Tullus is the leader of the Volscians, and the ‘they’ that he speaks of are the men of his army. The Roman he refers to is Coriolanus, whom Tullus has co-opted into the Volscian army. The answer to the question is ‘Ya, you betcha.’ Well, that’s not exactly what his lieutenant says, he wasn’t a Minnesotan, but that’s the gist of it. He says

            Your soldiers use him as the grace ‘fore meat,
            Their talk at table, and their thanks at end.

If that’s not a ‘Ya, you betcha’ I don’t know what is.

I know I’ve said it before, but I can’t help but repeat myself. This is a really, really interesting, and in many ways currently relevant, play. Upon consideration, though, I think I’d rather not get into it as that would lead to a discussion of the current geo-political situation and climate. And I’ve no desire to go there right now. It’s too early in the morning, and I’m feeling pretty good about life right now; no need to spoil it.

Let’s just end with a second consideration of Will’s lines about how the men feel about Coriolanus.

            Your soldiers use him as the grace ‘fore meat,
            Their talk at table, and their thanks at end.

How would you like to be the grace ‘fore meat, the talk at table, and the thanks at end? Kind of the be all and end all, but it’s a pretty good two-lined way of putting it. Just a bit more poetic than ‘Ya, you betcha.’



Here's a Minnesotan. If you said, 'Hey Jon, did you catch that all by yourself?' he might say 'Ya, you betcha!'


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...