Tuesday, July 28, 2020


O, fellow, come, the song we had last night.

-Duke of Illyria

Twelfth Night                            Act II, scene iv, line 42


Very interesting. Yesterday’s line was ‘Fore God, an excellent song. We didn’t have a post yesterday, so we didn’t talk about that line. But nonetheless, it is the line that I randomly picked and read yesterday. It was Cassio speaking in Othello. So, two days in a row now, we have someone talking about songs. I suppose I need to find a picture of myself singing. Umm, I’m not sure that picture exists.

I do like the four lines that immediately proceed today’s Totally Random line. This is a scene where Viola is disguised as a guy named Cesario, she’s part of the Duke’s court, and she’s got a crush on the duke. The duke, having no idea about the crush and thinking that Viola is a young man, is advising him/her that he/she must find a younger woman since,
            For women are as roses, whose fair flower
            Being once display’d, doth fall that very hour.
To which Cesario/Viola responds,
            And so they are: alas, that they are so,--
            To die, even when they to perfection grow.

And this is immediately followed by the duke getting distracted and asking for last night’s song. What do you think? Them’s is some pretty good lines. I think there’s a lot we could talk about in those four lines. If we wanted to…


Well I couldn't decide whether to give you a picture of a flower, or a link to a song. So I gave you a link to a song about a flower.




No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...