Sunday, July 12, 2020


If it please the eye of one, it is with me as the very true sonnet is, ‘Please one, and please all.’

-Malvolio

 Twelfth Night                    Act III, scene iv, line 24


Please one, and please all? That’s from a sonnet?

Well, I don’t know about that, but I do know that Malvolio is acting goofy in this scene, with the thought that this is going to impress and win the heart of Olivia. Of course, it’s not going to do any such thing, and she just thinks he’s gone a little bit mad. Poor Malvolio.

This Please one, and please all line made me think of Mom's philosophy on pleasing people. I paraphrase: Ya can't please everybody so don't bother trying. She was not a Bardophile, but she was certainly a pragmatist.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...