Saturday, January 30, 2021

 It will make you melancholy, Monsieur Jaques.

 

-Amiens

As You Like It         Act II, Scene v, Line 10

 

What will make Jaques melancholy? More of Amiens’s singing will make Jaques more melancholy. Jaques has requested more singing, but Amiens doesn’t seem to think it’s a good idea. Amiens is a more or less anonymous henchman in this play, but today he’s singing a little ditty that Jaques wants to hear more of. Would you like to hear (or at least read) what Amiens has given us so far? Okay, if you insist.

                Under the greenwood tree

                Who loves to lie with me,

And turn his merry note

Unto the sweet bird’s throat,

Come hither, come hither, come hither:      

                Here shall he see

                No enemy

But winter and rough weather


So, what do you think. I think Amiens is right; any more of that will certainly raise my level of melancholia.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFwpabp3h3w

Since we're talking about a ditty today, I'll give you a link to the song that's been stuck in my head this morning. I think it's pretty upbeat, but I'll let you be the judge. 


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...